Accessibility of the Sovereign Hill site
Sovereign Hill is an outdoor museum that re-creates all the action and excitement of Ballarat’s heyday during the great Australian gold rushes of the 1850s!
Sovereign Hill is located on a hillside, and its exhibits represent Ballarat in its earliest days as an 1850s goldfields township. There are several things to be considered before visiting:
- All roads and paths are gravel. There is some uneven ground.
- Main Street at Sovereign Hill is a gentle slope; however, other areas of the site are quite steep. All roads are accessible by wheelchair, but some visitors could find the gravel surfaces difficult to manage.
- Underground mine tours are accessible for visitors in wheelchairs. Please enquire at the mine office on arrival for bookings.
- Coach rides require visitors to climb several ladder steps.
- Parts of Sovereign Hill have wide bluestone gutters between the timber boardwalks and gravel roads. Ramps for crossing the gutters are highlighted on the free Wheelchair & Stroller visitor map, which is available on entry.
For further information:
Telephone 03 5337 1199
National Relay Service 133 677 and quote 5337 1199
Wheelchairs & strollers
Wheelchairs available free-of-charge. Subject to availability.
Strollers available for hire. A small charge applies. Subject to availability.
What to expect at Sovereign Hill
A series of youtube videos with information about your time at Sovereign Hill.
Introduction to Sovereign Hill
Introduction to Sovereign Hill - AUSLAN
Redcoat Parade - AUSLAN
How to Pan for Gold
How to Pan for Gold - AUSLAN
Sweet Making Demonstration
Sweet Making Demonstration- AUSLAN
Candle Making Demonstration
Candle Making Demonstration - AUSLAN
Click here for our series of scripts to assist students to become more familiar and comfortable with Sovereign Hill before they visit.
Dogs at Sovereign Hill
Assistance animals are welcome at Sovereign Hill. However, for the safety and comfort of all Sovereign Hill’s patrons and the animals on-site as part of Sovereign Hill’s interpretation of goldfields life, other dogs are not permitted on Sovereign Hill’s premises. This includes the Sovereign Hill Outdoor Museum, the Gold Museum, Sovereign Hill Hotel, Narmbool and AURA.
Exemptions will apply to:
- Guide dogs for hearing-impaired and vision-impaired visitors;
- Accredited and trained assistance dogs wearing a jacket identifying the dog as a trained assistance dog. These dogs must be secured by a harness or leash and under the control of the owner at all times whilst on Sovereign Hill’s premises). The owner of an assistance dog will be asked to show an appropriate photo ID card identifying him/her as the owner/handler of the assistance dog;
- On-duty working dogs under the control and supervision of on-duty emergency or security services personnel.
How do I make a booking using a valid Companion Card?
- Please purchase online via our website (https://bookings.sovereignhill.com.au/) the number of tickets you are paying for.
- Once you finalise the booking, you will receive a confirmation email with your Booking Confirmation included. Please forward this email to the Sovereign Hill Bookings team (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the number of companion card tickets you require. Your updated booking confirmation will then be sent back to you with the Companion Card tickets now included free of charge.
- Please provide this updated Booking Confirmation, either digitally on phone or printed out, to the staff on arrival. You will need to bring the valid Companion Card with you upon your arrival.
Concession cards accepted
• Pensioner Concession • Health Care • Seniors • NZ SuperGold • Australian Student ID card • ISIC Intl Student Card • Australian Government Cards
Entitles a companion attending with the card holder free of charge entry.
The carer is entitled to a concession price ticket.
Accessible rooms at Sovereign Hill Hotel
- 2 dedicated accessible car parks adjacent to Esmond Terrace
- A permanent access ‘ramp’ into the building
- Wide access entry door into the building
- Wide corridor to the 3 accessible rooms - 62, 63 & 65.
- All 3 rooms offer the same accessible amenities except for room 63, which also provides a 2nd connecting bedroom for a carer, if required.
Each accessible room has:
- Wide entrance door
- Wide bathroom access door
- Large bathroom for wheelchair access
- Hand and safety rails
- Accessible shower with shower curtain
- Accessible toilet
- Ramped access to private outdoor deck area.
Click here to view our visitor map and start planning your Sovereign Hill adventure.
Please note: Details and times are subject to change. Please check daily times and activities on your arrival to Sovereign Hill.